Phil's Blueberry Trifle
Serves: 8 Cooking time: 25 minutes
Like many traditional British desserts, trifles aren’t known for being particularly healthy, but this updated version helps redress this balance whilst still retaining that show-stopper quality.
1 tsp vanilla extract
170g Total Sweet Xylitol
180g Stork margarine, block
130g self-raising flour
3 medium eggs at room temperature
150g frozen blueberries defrosted
70g custard powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
350g fromage fraise, add 10g of xylitol for extra sweetness if needed
50g high cacao chocolate, with a lower sugar content - try Lindt Noir, 90%)
100g defrosted blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200C 180C fan, gas mark 6.
- Line a 32cm x 24cm Swiss roll tray with baking parchment.
- Place the margarine, xylitol and vanilla into a mixing bowl.
- Beat for 4-5 minutes on a machine, occasionally scraping down the sides and beater to ensure a nice even mix.
- Next, add the eggs and beat until creamy, then add the flour and beat together for 15 seconds or so, do not overbeat.
- Spread evenly into the lined Swiss roll tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes until risen and springy.
- Meanwhile, break the blueberries and the xylitol with a fork so you have a rough puree.
- Once the sponge is cooked, remove and cool, then turn out the sponge and peel away the parchment, then cut it in half, across the shortest side.
- Spread over the blueberry puree and top with the second piece of sponge, press down lightly.
- Cut into 2cm pieces and place half into a deep bowl or small bowls.
- To make the custard place the powder into a bowl and add 3-4 tbsp of milk and mix well. Boil the rest of the milk and as it's just boiling whisk in the powder and milk. The custard will thicken straight away.
- Remove from the heat add the xylitol and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour half the custard over the sponge in the bowl, then add the rest of the sponge, finally add the rest of the custard, then cool and chill well.
- Lightly whip the cream and add the xylitol and vanilla.
- Spoon over the chilled custard, then top with grated sugar-free dark chocolate and more defrosted blueberries and serve.
Copyright Phil Vickery