Serves: 12 Cooking time: 45 minutes
1/4 cup of Total Sweet Xylitol
1 1/2 cups of powdered Total Sweet Xylitol
14 tbsp (198.4g) of almond flour
2 large eggs (age overnight in the fridge and brought to room temperature)
4 tsp of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3 oz sugar-free chocolate chips
3 oz of heavy cream (or coconut cream)
1/8 tsp of sea salt
- Add egg whites to a bowl and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove egg whites from fridge and leave until room temperature.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and powdered Total Sweet® then set aside.
- Using a mixer (fitted a with wisk) whip the eggs until a frothy consistency, then slowly add Total Sweet®.
- Once eggs turn white, whip on medium until glossy and soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla to the meringue during the soft peak stage, then continue to whip on medium for 5-7 minutes until stiff peaks have formed.
- Add 1/3 of the almond mixture to the meringue and fold together. Slowly add the rest of the almond mixture.
- Fold your silicone spatula under, around the edge and cut through the batter until fully formed.
- Once you can easily form an “8” shape in the meringue without it breaking and the batter dissolves back seamlessly.
- Place a macaron baking mat on a baking sheet.
- Top the baking mat with parchment paper to prevent macarons from sinking.
- Get a pastry bag and fill it with the macronage (add a round tip to pipe from).
- Follow the macaron template and be careful not to go outside the outline.
- Allow the macarons to dry uncovered for between 30-60 minutes until the surface begins to crust and they are dry when given a gentle touch.
- Preheat your oven to 176˚C and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Cooled macarons, should slide away from the parchment paper, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Add heavy cream, chocolate chips and sea salt in a bowl and heat in the microwave until fully melted.
- Place mixture into the fridge for 15 minutes and then whisk till smooth.
- Once macarons are completely cooled, remove them from parchment paper.
- Add chocolate ganache to a pastry bag and cut a small hole opening at the bottom. Pipe ganache into a cookie and top with another.
Don’t like Chocolate?
Try these flavours instead!
- Strawberry - Add a couple of tsp of freeze-dried strawberry powder.
- Coffee - Add 2 to 3 tsp of espresso powder (not granules).
- Cinnamon - Add 1 to 2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Lavender - Add 1 tsp of dried lavender (powdered finely).
- Lemon - Add the zest of 1 lemon to dry ingredients.