Jane's No Added Sugar Biscotti
Serves: 72 small biscuits Cooking time: 45 minutes
Whilst there are natural sugars in the dried fruit, this recipe uses no added sugar – a perfect treat with coffee or dipped in wine.
4 tbsp olive oil
150g Total Sweet Xylitol
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 free-range eggs
225g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
60g dried cranberries
200g pistachio nuts or other nuts if preferred
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / Gas mark 2.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil and Total Sweet until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder then gradually stir into the egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts – try to get them evenly throughout the mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Form four logs (30×2.5cm) on a baking tray that has been lined with parchment.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 140 C / Gas mark 1.
- Cut logs on a diagonal into 1cm thick slices. Lay on the sides on a parchment-covered baking tray. Bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.