Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free, No Added Sugar Apple & Almond Cake
Serves: 8 Cooking time: 1 hour
This cake may be free of gluten, dairy or added sugar, but it's certainly not free of taste. One to enjoy again and again.
2 large Bramley (cooking) apples - Around 500g in total - unpeeled, cored and diced
1 tsp lemon juice
3 organic or free-range medium eggs
150g Total Sweet Xylitol
250g ground almonds
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
40g flaked almonds for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a cake tin (20cm/8 inch) with baking paper and grease the sides with a little oil or butter.
- Place the apple and lemon juice in a saucepan and simmer, covered, until the fruit softens but still retains some chunks. Place in a mixing bowl and stir in the ground almonds, cinnamon and baking powder. Set to one side.
- Beat the eggs and Total Sweet in a clean mixing bowl until they become pale and creamy and start to thicken slightly – the whisk should leave a trail when lifted out of the mixture.
- Gradually fold the apple and almond mixture into the beaten egg, using a metal tablespoon, taking care not to knock all of the air out of the egg – this is easiest done by drawing a figure of eight shapes with the spoon as you fold.
- Quickly pour the cake mix into the prepared tin, sprinkle with the remaining flaked almonds on top and bake for around 45-55 minutes – cover the top with kitchen foil towards the end of cooking to prevent the almonds from scorching if necessary. The cake is so soft and squidgy that a skewer inserted may not come out completely clean, but when it is done the top should be golden and fairly firm to the touch
- Serve warm with custard, made with Total Sweet instead of sugar, for pudding or allow to cool and have a slice for tea. Store in an airtight container or freeze.