Serves: 15 Cooking time: 5 minutes
These plump little pancakes are made of fibre-rich wholemeal flour and Total Sweet Xylitol instead of sugar. Serve with a dollop of fruit compote (made with Total Sweet) for a real treat.
125g plain wholemeal flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
180ml semi-skimmed milk
A little mild oil for frying
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl, and stir in the salt, baking powder, xylitol and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the centre, pour in an egg and little milk and beat, gradually adding the flour. Continue adding more milk and incorporating more flour until the mixture is a smooth batter.
- Heat a couple of teaspoons of oil in a large frying pan and place tablespoons of the drop scone mixture in the pan, without letting them touch each other. Fry for around one to two minutes or until firm and golden before turning and cooking on the other side.
- Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Place the cooked drop scones onto a plate lined with a sheet of kitchen towel and cover with a tea towel to keep warm whilst you finish cooking the batch. Store in an airtight container.