Roasted Vegetable & Lentils With Tahini Cream Sauce
Serves: 2 Cooking time: 40 minutes
It's not just sweet treats and desserts that Total Sweet Xylitol can be used in...try it in your sauces created for savoury dishes too! This tasty meal is not only light on your stomach but vegan too. Recipe created by Joanne 'The Balanced Kitchen'.
For the tahini cream sauce:
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp dark tahini (or use light if not available)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp Total Sweet Xylitol
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
For the vegetables:
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and cut into thin-medium wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, stalk and seeds removed, chopped into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stalk and seeds removed, chopped into chunks
- 2 red onions, skin removed and quartered
- 1 bulb garlic, topped sliced off and discarded
- 200g pre-cooked green or brown lentils
For the tahini cream sauce
Place all the sauce ingredients into a jug and use a stick/hand blender to blitz until smooth. Leave in the fridge in a covered container until the other ingredients are ready.
For the vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Wrap a small piece of foil around the garlic bulb and place in the oven to bake for 40 mins.
- Place the sweet potato wedges, red and yellow bell pepper and onion quarters onto a large oven tray (or split between 2 smaller trays, ensuring the ingredients are well spread out for speedier cooking). Add a drizzle of oil and move the ingredients around to coat evenly and bake in the oven for 35 mins.
- Next, add the lentils to the tray with the sweet potatoes, peppers and onions and gently combine. Return to the oven for a further 5-10 mins until cooked through.
- Remove the trays from the oven and squeeze the roasted garlic from the skin onto them. It should come out easily just by squeezing with your fingers, once cooled a bit (be very careful not to burn yourself), discard the skin. Combine all the ingredients together with a spoon.
- Serve in bowls with the tahini cream poured on top.
Note: Slice the sweet potatoes thinly to ensure the vegetables all cook at the same speed.