Low Sugar Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Serves: 12 Cooking time: 25 minutes
A yummy, fudgy brownie courtesy of Claire Wright. Low in sugar and totally delicious, made even prettier and tastier with a swirl of peanut butter stirred through.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 65g Total Sweet Xylitol
- 65g cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 65g ground almonds
- 40g sugar free peanut butter - Approx 1-2 heaped tbsp
- Preheat oven to 180C/350f/gas 4. Grease a small brownie (square or rectangular) tin (the smaller the tin, the thicker the brownie and the longer needed in the oven).
- Melt butter, xylitol, cacao powder and salt in a heatproof bowl over a pan with a small amount of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water. Keep an eye on the mixture and stir regularly. As soon as the mixture is melted and combined, remove the heat. Stir in vanilla extract and allow to cool slightly for a few mins.
- Stir in eggs, then add the ground almonds and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the greased brownie tin and heat peanut butter in the microwave until only just melting* (it takes about 30 secs). Spoon the peanut butter in splodges over the brownie batter and swirl in with a knife to create a marbled effect.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, until the outside edges are cooked, and the middle is just starting to firm. If you like your brownies fudgy and extra gooey, feel free to remove them earlier (until the middle is only just cooked on top). If you prefer your brownies cakey and cooked, leave until the mixture is cooked all the way through.
- Best served warm. These brownies are rich and beautiful on their own, but if you like additions, serve them with cream, yoghurt or sugar-free ice cream (dairy or coconut works for these options!).
*If the peanut butter is drying out instead of melting, add no more than a teaspoon of butter to help it liquify more. You don't want to add more, or the brownies will be greasy, but sometimes the peanut butter is drier and needs a little help to melt!